quarta-feira, 28 de julho de 2010
A fire broke out at an administrative building in downtown Moscow in the early hours of Thursday, a local police source said.
The fire that engulfed the two-storey building at Pushkinskaya Square, within walking distance of the Kremlin, reportedly covered between 50 and 100 square meters.
"The fire has been put out, no one has been killed or injured," the source said, adding that the cause of the fire is being investigated.
Moscow has seen record high temperatures for over a month. Ten temperature records have already been broken and each day the temperature is nearing 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). The heat wave in Russia has caused a number of fires, including peat bog fires, creating heavy smog throughout Moscow and the neighboring regions.
MADISON, Wis., July 28 (UPI) -- A particle observatory at the South Pole has produced a scientific result about a phenomenon the telescope was not even designed to study, researchers say.
The IceCube Neutrino Observatory, designed to capture evidence of elusive but scientifically important subatomic particles called neutrinos, offered up some unexpected new science about cosmic rays, a University of Wisconsin-Madison release said Tuesday.
A "skymap" of cosmic rays falling on the Earth's Southern Hemisphere showed previously undiscovered patterns, with more detected in some parts of the sky than in others, the release said.
"IceCube was not built to look at cosmic rays. Cosmic rays are considered background," UWM researcher Rasha Abbasi said. "However, we have billions of events of background downward cosmic rays that ended up being very exciting".
A similar unevenness, called "anisotropy," has been detected in the Northern Hemisphere by previous experiments, Abbasi says, but its source is still a mystery.
ANAHEIM, Calif., July 28 (UPI) -- Marco Scutaro's eighth-inning grand slam homer broke a tie Wednesday and boosted the Boston Red Sox to a 7-3 victory over the Los Angeles Angels.
The Red Sox loaded the bases with no outs against Fernando Rodney (4-1) when Jeremy Hermida and Bill Hall drew walks and Eric Patterson reached on an infield single.
Scutaro followed by lofting a pitch into the left field stands just inside the foul pole for his second career grand slam, handing Boston a three-game series sweep at Angels Stadium.
Hall, Adrian Beltre and Kevin Youkilis added solo homers for Boston.
MEMPHIS, July 28 (UPI) -- The body of missing former NBA player Lorenzen Wright was found Wednesday in a wooded area of Memphis, The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal reported.
Citing an unnamed law enforcement source, the newspaper said the body of Wright, 34, was discovered in the southeastern part of the city nine days after he had been reported missing.
The newspaper cited unnamed sources as saying Memphis police were investigating a 911 call made from Wright's cellphone in which the dispatcher heard several gunshot blasts.
Wright's body was found by someone who called police, the report said.
Giulia, 21, perished in Love Parade crush at Duisburg. MySpace message: “Too rare to die”
A mishap was prevented yesterday when the jet conveying President Goodluck Jonathan back to Nigeria developed a fault barely ten minutes after taking off from the international airport in Entebbe, Uganda. Pilots had to return the aircraft to Uganda to be fixed before it could undertake the journey again.
The President was returning from the African Union summit, which ended on Tuesday, and was expected to attend the weekly federal executive council meeting with his cabinet.
NEXT gathered that minutes after take off, the pilot and co-pilot of the presidential jet noticed they were getting strange signals as a result of a technical fault in the aircraft.
A source who was on the trip, said the same aircraft was repaired in Kampala and was later used to bring the president and his entourage to Nigeria. They arrived the country by noon yesterday.
The source explained that two of the three jets on the presidential air fleet used for the Uganda trip developed faults and had to be repaired in the East African country.
One of the jets had earlier conveyed the wife of the President, Patience, from Kampala. She was scheduled to be in Germany to visit Nigeria’s team at the ongoing Fifa Under-20 women’s world Cup ahead of their semi-final match against Colombia.
Yesterday’s incident occurred barely two weeks after NEXT reported on July 18 that Mr. Jonathan had ordered the probe of key aides to late President Umaru Yar’Adua including the commander of the Presidential Air Fleet, Aminu Adamu, over allegations of misappropriation of the funds budgeted for the maintenance of presidential jets.
About three months ago, NEXT reported in its April 11 edition that “Presidency sources also say that the N234 million approved for the “completion of the presidential air fleet (PAF) quarters in the 2009 budget, is unaccounted for, some four months into 2010”.
The report also said, “the same goes for the maintenance of presidential aircraft, which had a budget increased by over 50 percent to N970 million in 2009”.
As at press time, it was not clear if the Presidency is holding anyone responsible for the faulty jets or will take more drastic action in the probe of how money appropriated for their maintenance was spent.
WESTMINSTER, Md., July 28 (UPI) -- A Maryland man convicted of theft for taking a tarantula from a library was sentenced to 90 days in jail for the crime and 4 years for violating his probation.
Randy Humple, 27, of Westminster, was sentenced Monday in Carroll County Circuit Court to 90 days for the May theft of the tarantula from the Westminster branch of the Carroll County Public Library and another incident a few days later when police found marijuana in his sock at the time of his arrest, the Carroll County Times reported Wednesday.
Humple was also sentenced by Judge J. Barry Hughes to 4 years in prison for violating his probation from a 2007 assault case. Hughes said the sentences will run concurrently.
NEW DELHI: India wants the Canadian company Research in Motion (RIM), makers of BlackBerry, to address its security concerns or face closure. Essentially, India wants the handset-maker to allow it to set up a monitoring facility here with Indian access to its encryption technology, which it needs for security reasons, a fact recently flagged by security agencies.
This is the second time that the government has threatened to block the operations of BlackBerry. In the earlier instance, tensions were defused after RIM agreed to provide its encryption code to security agencies burdened with having to monitor the chatter among increasingly tech-savvy terrorists.
The fresh confrontation comes after reports that RIM was ready to set up a server in China to address Chinese security concerns.
The home ministry has asked the department of telecommunication (DoT) to check the veracity of reports of a server being set up in China and then press the Canadian company to do the same in India.
According to security agencies, this will help India monitor email and SMS traffic on these popular phones. In the current system, Indian agencies have to approach the Canadian company every time it wants access, which is time-consuming and ultimately, they feel, counter-productive.
Sources in government say that security agencies have reasons to resent their inability to access the details of BlackBerry subscribers, because of their experience with the satellite phone Thuraya. Thuraya's refusal to share their codes with Indian security agencies have encouraged terrorists in J&K as well as those behind the 26/11 attacks to exploit the chink.
A senior government official said, "Though RIM has been fully cooperating ever since the matter was taken up with it in 2008, reports of the company's move to set up a server in China forced us to look at it in a different way".
Officials here believe that if the Canadian company can take care of China's concerns by reportedly setting up a server there, it can do the same for India which is an equally big market for BlackBerry.
The Times of India
UNITED NATIONS, July 29 (RIA Novosti) - UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will visit Japan next week to pay tribute to the victims of U.S. nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of World War II and hold talks with the country's government, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky has said.
"The secretary general hopes that his visit to Hiroshima and Nagasaki will draw attention to the urgent need to achieve global nuclear disarmament," Nesirky said on Wednesday.
Ban will be the first UN chief to take part in an annual ceremony commemorating the victims of the 1945 tragedy, he said, adding that the exact dates of the visit will be announced later.
Ban is expected to begin his visit with talks with Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan and Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada in Tokyo, Nesirky said.
The memorial ceremony will take place on August 6. On this day in 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima; Nagasaki was attacked three days later.
The bombings, the world's only nuclear attacks, killed at least 215,000 people and survivors have developed various illnesses from the exposure to radiation, including cancer and liver disease.
An 80-year-old woman has died after an explosion at an Orthodox Christian church in southern Ukraine which injured at least eight other people, officials say.
The blast in the city of Zaporizhzhya is believed to have been caused by a homemade explosive device. It is not clear who is behind the explosion.
It came towards the end of a visit to Ukraine by the Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill I which has attracted protests by right-wing nationalists.
Wednesday saw Orthodox church celebrations in the region of the anniversary of the adoption of Christianity in 988 AD.
As well as heading the Russian Orthodox church, Patriarch Kirill also leads the largest branch of the Ukrainian Orthodox church. However some clergy in Ukraine have declared themselves to be independent of Moscow.
Scores of small schools across Scotland face the threat of closure after ministers refused to save a 52-pupil primary, campaigners warned last night.
The Scottish Government has rejected an appeal to keep open Crossroads Primary, near Kilmarnock, despite an SNP manifesto pledge to protect against rural school closures.
The Scottish Rural Schools Network said the move would give a green light to local authorities across the country that want to save money by shutting small primary schools.
Sandy Longmuir, a spokesman for the network, said parents at many of the 600 Scottish primaries with fewer than 70 pupils will now have cause for concern.
“This is a bitterly disappointing decision by Scottish ministers which we believe sets a dangerous precedent and will result in a flood of proposals to shut rural schools,” he said.
The warning came after Scottish Government ministers decided not to intervene in the decision by SNP-led East Ayrshire Council to close Crossroads Primary.
The council has stated the school, which serves a farming community, is unsafe and too expensive to renovate.
However, parents argue the school is a vital focal point for the community and believe a scaled-back refurbishment is both affordable and would make the school safe.
Crucially, under the terms of new legislation brought in by the SNP Government to protect local schools against being unfairly shut, parents appealed to ministers to call in the decision. The Government, however, has now decided East Ayrshire fulfilled its obligations under the 2010 Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act, and, therefore, will not review the decision.
“The decision is particularly disappointing and, possibly, a seminal moment in the future of Scotland’s rural schools,” said Longmuir.
“The first test of the Government’s Act, which was supposed to safeguard our rural schools, has failed at the first hurdle.
“Scotland’s rural schools are now in a far worse position than before the new legislation was enacted.
“We fear this decision may herald a cull of rural schools across Scotland”.
Des McNulty, education spokesman for the Scottish Labour Party, also went on the attack stating: “Once again pledges made by the SNP in its election manifesto have turned out to be worthless”.
However, a Scottish Government spokeswoman defended the decision, which she said would benefit the school population in the area.