quinta-feira, 5 de agosto de 2010
VATICAN CITY, Aug. 5 (UPI) -- Pope Benedict XVI asked his predecessor, John Paul II, to allow him to become the Vatican's librarian, but his request was denied, a Vatican official said.
Cardinal Raffaela Farina said the late pope refused 13 years ago to allow then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who was the prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith in the Vatican, to step down from his position to be the archivist of the Vatican Secret Archives and a librarian of the Vatican Library, Britain's Daily Telegraph reported Thursday.
Ratzinger, 83, was John Paul II's doctrinal enforcer, but he considered his job "burdensome" and wished to retire to study ancient documents for the remainder of this life, the Daily Telegraph said. UPI
A Canadian woman accused of attacking Inception star Leonardo DiCaprio with a broken beer bottle in 2005 has been given a restraining order.
Aretha Wilson, 40, attacked the star at a private party in Hollywood, resulting in him needing about a dozen stitches to his face and neck.
After fleeing to Canada, Ms Wilson was extradited to Los Angeles to face a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.
She was ordered to not to contact, or come within 500 yds (457m) of DiCaprio.
Ms Wilson is accused of sneaking into a party hosted by Paris Hilton's former boyfriend, Rick Salomon.
According to police, she mistook DiCaprio for an ex-boyfriend and attacked him with the bottle. BBC News
Labour has accused David Cameron of committing a gaffe by mistakenly claiming Iran has a nuclear weapon.
Asked why he was backing Turkey to join the EU, he said it could help solve the world's problems, "like the Middle East peace process, like the fact that Iran has got a nuclear weapon".
A No 10 source said the PM "misspoke", later adding he had been talking about Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons.
But Labour said he was becoming a "foreign policy klutz".
Shadow Europe Minister Chris Bryant said: "This is less of a hiccup, more of a dangerous habit.
"Considering Iran's nuclear ambitions constitute one of the most important foreign policy challenges facing us all, it is not just downright embarrassing that the prime minister has made this basic mistake, it's dangerous". BBC News
NEW YORK, Aug. 5 (UPI) -- ABC News says it is kicking off its new U.S. "Nightlineprime" program with a four-part series about the science of the brain.
"Secrets of Your Mind -- Why We Do What We Do" is to debut Aug. 19 and to continue for three successive Thursdays, concluding Sept. 9.
It marks "Nightline's" first foray into a prime-time series.
"In this series, 'Nightline' anchors and producers explore the mystery and the science of the brain through a range of extraordinary case studies," ABC said in a news release. "The series also features the work of world-renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Julian Bailes, of West Virginia University Health Sciences Center, and his patients. Each installment of 'Secrets of Your Mind' will focus on a different research area, including love's impact on the brain, medical emergencies involving the brain, violence and the brain, and food and the brain". UPI
QUEBEC CITY, Aug. 5 (UPI) -- The shortage of doctors is expected to become worse in Quebec now that fertility treatments are free in the Canadian province.
The new policy took effect Thursday.
Gaetan Barrette, president of the Quebec Association of Medical Specialists, said the province will not "be able to deliver" to the thousands of women already waiting for in vitro fertilization and other treatments, The Montreal Gazette reported. A midwives group said 1,500 pregnant women were unable to find a gynecologist or family practitioner.
"It's a diversion of medical practice to political issues," Barrette said.
The provincial government decided to provide fertility treatments, something that is expected to cost $69 million a year, because of concerns about the low birthrate. Women can get treatment, including up to three courses of in vitro fertilization, until they reach menopause.
Barrette said that with 3,000 women already on waiting lists the government should have provided more guidance on who should get treatment first. UPI
Opponents of same-sex marriage in California have appealed a U.S. federal judge's ruling overturning the state's ban on the unions.
Lawyers on Thursday filed an appeal to the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.
The appeal comes one day after U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker struck down a state ban on same sex marriage, saying the measure than bans gay marriage fails to provide a rational basis for outlawing it.
Walker has scheduled a hearing for Friday.
Some legal experts believe the California case could lead to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on whether it is constitutional to treat same-sex unions differently from those between a man and a woman.
In November of 2008, California voters narrowly approved a measure known as Proposition 8, which defines marriage as the union between a man and a woman.
The measure was approved just months after California's Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriages. Gay rights advocates said the ban violated the U.S. Constitution's provision on equal protection under the law.
In his 136-page decision, Judge Walker wrote that the ban prevents the state from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis. VOA News
RIYADH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah’s donation of 100 metric tons of dates for Muslims in the Philippines, especially for people in war-torn Mindanao, was delivered on Thursday.
“The donation worth SR530,000 was administered through the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF), Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC), and the United Nations-attached World Food Program (WFP),” according to statement from SPA.
The donation arrived in the Philippines early this week in four container vans for the observance of the holy month of Ramadan, which is expected to start on Aug. 11.
On Thursday at the Saudi Embassy in Makati City, Saudi Ambassador Abdullah bin Ibrahim Al-Hassan formally turned over the donation to representatives of three agencies, including NCMF Secretary Bai Omera Lucman, PNRC Manager Lucy Beltran and Stephen Anderson, WFP director and country representative.
Fahad Al-Munif, director at the Saudi Ministry of Finance, and embassy officials witnessed the turnover ceremony.
Last year, King Abdullah also donated 70 million pesos worth of assorted goods for the victims of tropical storm Ondoy. Arab News
CANBERRA, Australia, Aug. 5 (UPI) -- An Australian businessman says the heated debate in the country over immigration is counterproductive and he's surprised the nation is having it.
Toll road operator ConnectEast Group Chairman Tony Shepherd said the debate about "boatpeople" entering the country missed the point that Australia had benefited from immigration, The Australian reported Thursday.
"We are all fundamentally, other than our indigenous population, and even they probably too, we are all fundamentally boatpeople," Shepherd said at a business conference on the country's infrastructure. "That's what we've grown from".
"If you've got the gumption to go across in a leaky boat across the Timor Sea and arrive here, it is almost a pre-qualification," Shepherd said.
Australian politicians were sending out a confusing message about the country's population ambitions, another business owner said. UPI
The Regional Prosecutor’s Office in Bulgaria’s southern city of Kardzhali dismissed Thursday the case against four individuals over an explosion at an orphanage which resulted in the dead of three children.
The fatal explosion occurred on December 5, 2009 in the town of Krumovgrad. One of the boys died on the scene while the other has been taken to the Krumovgrad hospital where he later died. A third boy was listed in critical condition in the hospital in the regional center – the city of Kardzhali, and died during surgery.
The orphanage did not have security guards, which according to the mayor is a wide-spread practice, aiming to provide more serene environment for the children in the institution.
The four people, who until now were facing charges, are the Principal of the orpahanage “New Life,” Svetoslav Dayov, the children’s supervisors, Shengyul Hasan and Krasimir Terziev and Hamdi Ali, the heating attendant at the home. Ali later committed suicide by hanging himself inside the family house.
Ali was accused of having given the children what he and they thought was a loudspeaker, which turned to be a mine explosive. A fifth individual, Valentin Valkov, a former serviceman, has been turned to the Court Martial in Plovdiv on Thursday.
The probe did not lead to evidence that Dayov, Hasan and Terziev have violated their duties and any grounds to charge them with manslaughter. As far as Valkov, the prosecutor says he must be probed further because for a long time he took out from theKrumovgrad barracks military property and kept it at Ali’s house both when on active duty and in the reserves.
Krumovgrad is a small, dilapidated and impoverished town, with mostly ethnic Turkish population, located close to the border with Greece. The border region is known to have been once strewn with mines and many of them are still buried in the ground. Novinite
BISHKEK: Kyrgyz forces arrested an opposition party leader on suspicion of plotting the overthrow of the government on Thursday, after troops fired blank rounds into a crowd trying to join mass demonstrations near Parliament.
Acting President Roza Otunbayeva said security forces seized firearms and grenades from Urmat Baryktabasov and 26 supporters after a day of protests in the capital of the Central Asian state, which plans to hold parliamentary elections in October.
"All who attempt to destroy the peace of the citizens will be punished," said Otunbayeva.
Her interim government has struggled to impose its authority since an uprising in April toppled President Kurmanbek Bakiyev. Savage ethnic fighting followed in June, killing more than 350 people over several days and forcing thousands from their homes.
Baryktabasov, who staged a failed coup attempt in 2005, recently returned from exile. Early on Thursday, Kyrgyz troops stopped busloads of his supporters as they approached the capital from his hometown on the shores of Lake Issyk-Kul.
After a standoff lasting several hours on a main road into Bishkek, troops fired tear gas and blank rounds to disperse the crowd. Local news agencies said two women were injured by rubber bullets. Arab News
NEW DELHI: It was a high-profile, highly sensitive meeting. Finance minister and chief UPA troubleshooter Pranab Mukherjee was in the midst of talks with opposition leaders on Monday in an effort to break the logjam in Parliament. That's when his mobile phone rang.
Expecting it to be an urgent call, Mukherjee answered his phone. However, within seconds, his expression changed. "No, no. Not now. I am in a meeting," he blurted and cut the call. "They don't even spare me," he murmured. "Who was it?" asked BJP leader Sushma Swaraj. It was a telemarketer offering a home loan, fumed Mukherjee. "I get four-five such calls everyday," he added. It's a nuisance that has become sadly routine for all mobile phone users, who haven't received any help from either the government or the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. But the intrusive call to Mukherjee finally seemed to have awakened telecom minister A Raja. He immediately dashed off a note to telecom secretary P J Thomas, asking him to convene a meeting and take steps to prohibit unsolicited calls immediately.
"A wide range of products and services are nowadays offered through telemarketing which result in inconvenience and disturbance to telecom consumers," Raja wrote in the note.
When contacted, Trai chairman J S Sarma said he had not been contacted by the minister but would be holding a meeting on Friday morning with Airtel and the Tatas. "We are having an open house on August 18 on moving to a `do call registry' as against the existing `do not call registry' and we will be advancing this open house, Sarma told TOI. However, the fact is that similar efforts in the past have failed to resolve the problem.
Trai has made several attempts to curb unsolicited commercial calls, including creating a 'Do Not Call Registry' but without much success. Though voice calls have reduced to some extent, SMSs have increased manifold. The Times of India