segunda-feira, 31 de janeiro de 2011

Wife stands by terrorism suspect in Canada

EDMONTON, Alberta, Jan. 31 (UPI) -- The wife of a Canadian held on U.S. terrorism charges is defending him as a loving husband and father.

In a statement released by Sayfildin Tahir Sharif's lawyer Sunday, Cara Rain said, "[He] is not a terrorist. He is a kind, generous man, a hard-working man, a loving and kind and affectionate father. I would not have shared my home, and shared my life, and shared my children's life with a terrorist".

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the FBI say Sharif is a terrorist conspirator who helped co-ordinate attacks on Americans in Iraq.

He is an Iraqi-born Canadian citizen and stucco worker who lived in Edmonton, Alberta, with Rain, a grocery store worker, and her four children from a previous relationship.

Rain said she converted to Islam, "a religion of peace" that has "helped me overcome issues in my own life to become a better person".

Rain was interviewed by the RCMP after Sharif's arrest.

"I answered all their questions, as did he. We have nothing to hide," she said.

Sharif is fighting extradition to the United States on charges of conspiring to murder U.S. nationals and providing material support for terrorists.

He is due back in court Wednesday. UPI