sexta-feira, 21 de maio de 2010

Military veterans -- true heroes -- honored in medal ceremony



ANSONIA -- Long overdue but greatly appreciated.
That was the sentiment of many of the veterans honored Thursday with Wartime Service Medals at a ceremony at the State Armory.
State Reps. Theresa Conroy and Linda Gentile arranged for the ceremony to honor those who served the country during World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam War, the first Gulf War or the current war in the Middle East.
"I consider myself to be really blessed to be in a position to allow me the opportunity to give you the proper recognition each of you deserve for your service and sacrifice to the state and to the nation," Gentile told the packed crowd. "You are assuredly true heroes and I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart".
The medal includes a ribbon that is the same as the one that adorned similar medals given to World War I veterans, state Commissioner of Veterans Affairs Linda Schwartz said. "It shows that no matter when you served, there is a common tie that bonds all veterans," she said. Link