sexta-feira, 16 de julho de 2010

New Horizons Airmen spend day at Panamanian school

by Tech. Sgt. Eric Petosky
New Horizons Panama 2010 Public Affairs

7/16/2010 - METETI, Panama (AFNS) -- More than a dozen Airmen and Marines from Task Force New Horizons spent a day with local children building rubber-band airplanes and playing games July 12 at the elementary school in Sansonsito, Panama.

The servicemembers were a welcome addition to the day, said Lisbeth Acosta Corella, the school's director. 

"When the children found out the (U.S. servicemembers) were coming, they were very excited," she said through an interpreter. "Today, they are ecstatic, all are very happy (the servicemembers) came."

The school invited parents and visitors to the school in preparation for a Panamanian national "Children's Holiday" July 18, Mrs. Corella explained. While school children played games and constructed the rubber-band planes, parents and teachers sold food to raise funds for activities during the upcoming holiday. 

"I like model airplanes," said 7-year-old Javier Brago, a student at Sansonsito. "I've never had one before, so I think I'm going to keep it".

Javier's enthusiasm was shared by Pfc. Juan Romero, a civil affairs Marine deployed from the 4th Civil Affairs Group in Washington, D.C, and Tech. Sgt. Dorothy Lanthier, a personnel specialist deployed from 177th Fighter Wing in Atlantic City, N.J.