USS GEORGE H.W. BUSH, At Sea (NNS) -- USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), the Navy's 10th and final Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, received a visit from its namesake, former President George H.W. Bush and former First Lady Barbara Bush, while underway July 14.
Bush and Barbara were escorted on board by Adm. J.C. Harvey, commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command.
During his two-day visit to the aircraft carrier, Bush toured the ship, observing day-to-day operations and spending time with the crew, as well as taking part in a reenlistment ceremony for nearly 60 Sailors, which he said was an honor.
"I am proud of every man and woman on this ship," said Bush. "I was honored to be able to reenlist those who are ready to serve again. I am very emotional about service to country, particularly the Navy. I am very proud of the Navy and extremely proud of this ship. That this ship is named after me knows no bound in terms of my emotion and my pleasure and the honor that I feel".
Commanding Officer Capt. Chip Miller expressed what a huge privilege and inspiration it was to host two individuals who devoted their lives to selfless service.