sábado, 16 de outubro de 2010

Date Krumm reaches Japan Open final


(CNN) -- Japanese veteran Kimiko Date Krumm has reached the Japan Open final with a 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 7-5 victory over third seed Shahar Peer of Israel in Osaka.
Krumm became the oldest woman to beat a top-10 player on the WTA Tour when she defeated Australia's Sam Stosur on Friday.
Now the unseeded 40-year-old, who came out of retirement in 2008, is in line to replace Billie Jean King as the oldest player to win a WTA singles title.
Twelve-time grand slam winner King was 39 years, seven months and 23 days old when she won her last WTA Tour title back in 1983.
"Considering my age and the years I was away from the tour, I would say this is a miracle. I just hope that my physical and mental health will last one more game," Date Krumm said, BBC Sport reported.
Date Krumm will play 33-year-old Tamarine Tanasugarn from Thailand in Sunday's final.
CNN