segunda-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2010

Firefighters douse Israeli wildfire


(CNN) -- A deadly Israeli wildfire that killed at least 41 people and forced the evacuation of thousands of others has been extinguished, police said Monday.
About 1,500 firefighters are still in the area and on standby, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.
The fire, which broke out Thursday, forced the evacuations of about 17,000 people and scorched over 10,000 acres around Haifa, Israel's third largest city, threatening businesses, tourism and one of Israel's greenest regions, Mount Carmel.
The developments came a day after the Israeli Cabinet approved a plan to speed aid to those affected.
"I do not want delays," Netanyahu said Sunday. "I do not want bureaucracy. I want processes to be shortened. I want quick solutions. I want all of the people -- within days -- to be able to return to their homes or to alternative housing, until the reconstruction work is finished". CNN