segunda-feira, 10 de janeiro de 2011

Judge: Tom DeLay to serve 3 years in prison


Austin, Texas (CNN) -- Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay will serve three years in prison on his November conviction on money laundering and conspiracy charges, a Texas judge ruled Monday.
Judge Pat Priest sentenced DeLay to three years on the conspiracy charge and five years on the money-laundering charge. But the judge will allow DeLay to serve 10 years probation with community service on the laundering charge in lieu of the prison sentence, and the two sentences will be served concurrently.
Priest remanded DeLay into custody and set a $10,000 bond pending appeal.
Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin left the courthouse quickly after the sentence was announced but he spoke briefly, saying, "If I told you what I thought, I would get sued. This will not stand".
Addressing the court prior to the sentencing, DeLay argued that he still doesn't believe he did anything wrong and never did anything for personal gain.
"I always intended to follow the law," he said. "I'm not stupid. Everything I did I had accountants and lawyers telling me what to do and how to follow the letter of the law, even the spirit of the law". CNN