segunda-feira, 9 de agosto de 2010
CAIRO, Aug. 9 (UPI) -- Vandals in northwest Egypt tore down posters lobbying for a presidential bid for the politician son of President Hosni Mubarak, campaign organizers said.
Mubarak assumed the presidency in 1981 following the assassination of Anwar Sadat. The 82-year-old president hasn't made his intentions regarding a 2011 bid for re-election known publicly.
Cairo spent late July deflecting claims that the Egyptian president's health was failing. Mubarak had his gall bladder removed earlier this year.
He was rumored to be grooming his son Gamal to take over as head of state.
Activists from the Gamal Mubarak Support Campaign said vandals torn down campaign posters in northwest Egypt during a signature drive, Egyptian newspaper al-Masry al-Youm reports. UPI
SEATTLE, Aug. 9 (UPI) -- The Seattle Mariners fired manager Don Wakamatsu and three coaches Monday in a shakeup aimed at getting the struggling franchise back on track, the team said.
Daren Brown, manager of the Mariners' Class-AAA team in nearby Tacoma, was brought in to run the team for the remainder of the season.
"New leadership is needed and it is needed now," General Manager Jack Zduriencik said in a written statement.
The statement said Wakamatsu, who was named manager before the 2009 season, was no longer seen as the "right long-term fit" for the Mariners, who had aims to contend in the American League West this season but instead find themselves mired in last place. UPI
(Reuters) - Verizon Communications Inc and Google Inc on Monday proposed principles for policing Web traffic, but stopped short of saying they should apply to wireless devices.
The proposal came after the Federal Communications Commission failed to broker an agreement among Internet service providers and Web companies on "net neutrality".
Net neutrality is a term that means high-speed Internet providers should not block or slow information or charge Web sites to pay for a fast lane to reach users more quickly.
Google's and Verizon's chief executives said on a call with reporters that the proposal does not represent a business arrangement between them, and that they hope the proposal could be used as a model for possible congressional legislation.
"As far as we're concerned, there would be no paid prioritization of any traffic over the Internet," said Verizon Chief Executive Ivan Seidenberg.
Seidenberg and Google CEO Eric Schmidt said regulators should police Internet service providers to ensure that they do not block or slow Internet traffic on phone lines.
The principles would not apply to wireless devices, a lucrative business for companies expecting growth in wireless broadband Internet services as more people use mobile devices like smartphones and BlackBerries.
The FCC is trying to determine if net neutrality rules should apply to both "land lines" and wireless devices. Reuters
The family of a man left brain dead from a traffic accident agreed to donate his organs in the first such case under the revised transplant law, saying that although he hadn't consented in writing, he had voiced such wishes, a transplant group said Monday.
A former British army captain has become the first known person to walk from the origin of the Amazon river to its mouth, after enduring "50,000" mosquito bites, attacks by hostile Indians, and tropical disease in his nearly two-and-a-half-year odyssey.
Ed Stafford, a 34-year-old from Leicestershire, England, dived into the Atlantic Ocean after taking 859 days to walk the length of the world's second-longest river, starting at the peak of Mount Mismi in Peru in April 2008.
"It's just phenomenal to be here at the end of the journey after two-and-a-half years slogging our way through the jungle," he said after arriving at the beach about 150 kilometres north-east of the Brazilian city of Belem.
"It was really difficult to envisage how this was going to feel and I'm completely overwhelmed".
Stafford briefly collapsed from exhaustion with only 85km of the 9,650km journey to go, passing out by the roadside after breaking out in a rash. ABC News
Militants killed in a special operation in Grozny, the capital of Russia's volatile North Caucasus republic of Chechnya, on Sunday planned to blow up a shopping mall and the city's central mosque, Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov said Monday.
The two were killed on Sunday morning in a Grozny apartment in a shootout with police, who suspected them of killing other police officers.
"A memory stick was found on the militants with a video recording of their talks, in which they discussed their plans to blow up the Grozny City shopping and entertainment mall and the central mosque of Akhmad Kadyrov," Kadyrov said.
Militant violence is common in Russia's mainly Muslim North Caucasus republics, especially Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia.
The Kremlin has pledged to wage "a ruthless fight" against militant groups but also acknowledged a need to tackle unemployment, organized crime, clan rivalry and corruption as causes of the ongoing violence in the region.
Russia has been fighting militants in the North Caucasus for over a decade, including two separatist wars in Chechnya. RIA Novosti
Water levels continued to rise in the eastern German state of on Monday, as an heritage site was completely flooded in neighbouring .
The town of was hit by flooding from the , covering the main square and the UNESCO-protected historic Park.
"The park is completely flooded," said , adding that the water had remained under the high level of 1981.
Attempts to protect one main street with sand bags on Sunday night failed as experts repeatedly changed their warning levels, frustrating residents and rescue workers. But water levels, usually around one metre deep, peaked several metres higher.
Still, townspeople did all they could to protect their historic treasures and the Fürst Pückler palace had been secured with sandbags.
“Everything possible was done,” said the state’s high water alert authority.
Interior de Maizière visited Saxony on Monday, pledging federal help for those regions hit by the flooding.
Rail firm in had to stop production as water 1.5 metres high flooded into the factory, causing millions in euros in damages.
Meanwhile the neighbouring state of Brandenburg awaited the floods after the water began rising overnight. The authorities were expecting to announce a state of emergency before the end of Monday. The Local DE
Google and Verizon announced a joint proposal on Monday that would allow ISPs to offer premium content bundles over an unspecified global network — an unexpected gambit that would seem to call for separate and unequal internets.
The two companies say the guidelines would ensure that no internet traffic of kind is prioritized over other (with the exception of viruses, spam and the like). On the flipside, it would grant content companies looking to deliver services that require too much bandwidth for the regular internet to do so in return for payment, via a second set of pipes.
“There should be a new, enforceable prohibition against discriminatory practices,” reads part of their proposal, posted on both Verizon’s and Google’s websites. “For the first time, wireline broadband providers would not be able to discriminate against or prioritize lawful internet content, applications or services in a way that causes harm to users or competition”.
But the bombshell is the carrot that would convince ISPs to accede to this basic tennet of net neutrality. The call by two giants of the internet in the midst of an already contentious debate would at first glance seem more likely to exacerbate the discussion than bring it to a swifter conclusion, by suggesting that an entirely new information highway be built to accomodate a “fast lane”.
“Our proposal also includes safeguards to ensure that such online services must be distinguishable from traditional broadband Internet access services and are not designed to circumvent the rules,” it continues. “The FCC would also monitor the development of these services to make sure they don’t interfere with the continued development of internet access services”.
The first question, assuming this tale of two internets ever gets written: To what extent would an inherently more private network mingle with the public internet? Would it be like pay cable and satellite TV, which now provides some content that had previously been available on “free” TV, without killing broadcasting entirely? Or would it be like network television and syndication, which killed local station production and innovation?
In the here and now, however, the proposal does not include the paid prioritization of one company’s traffic over another – a victory for net neutrality proponents. But it does call for so-called “fast lanes” ISPs been clamoring for in ways even the two companies could not forsee, according to both Google president Eric Schmidt and Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg. Wired
NEW ORLEANS, Aug. 9 (UPI) -- BP said Monday it had made an initial deposit of $3 billion to its $20 billion fund for victims of the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
The international oil giant had promised to make the first payment by Sept. 30 but did so earlier "to demonstrate its commitment to meet its pledge to restore both the livelihoods of those affected by the oil spill and the environment," the company said in a statement.
"We indeed intend to stand behind our commitment to (spill victims) and to the American taxpayers," said incoming Chief Executive Bob Dudley, who is leading BP's gulf restoration efforts. "Establishing this trust and making the initial deposit ahead of schedule further demonstrates our commitment to making it right in the Gulf Coast". UPI
A Christian aid group says it has no plans to withdraw from Afghanistan, despite the killing of 10 of its members in the country's north.
The director of International Assistance Mission, Dirk Frans, on Monday released the names of the victims, including six Americans, two Afghans, one Briton and one German.
The aid workers were part of a medical team providing eye and other health care to Afghans (in Nuristan and Badakhshan provinces), when they were shot in Badakhshan province last week. The Taliban and another militant group claimed responsibility for the attack, accusing them of acting as spies and missionaries.
Frans told reporters in Kabul on Monday that the group (, which has been operating in Afghanistan since 1966,) does not proselytize and that the workers were not carrying Bibles in the local language.
Afghan authorities are also investigating whether the killings were part of an armed robbery. Frans says the lone survivor of the attack, an Afghan driver, is being questioned by the Afghan interior ministry in Kabul. VOA News