quinta-feira, 8 de abril de 2010

Selebi 'had corrupt relationship'


Johannesburg - Former police chief Jackie Selebi had a corrupt relationship with Glenn Agliotti and had received vast amounts of money from him, the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg heard on Thursday.

The prosecution was arguing against moves to have Selebi acquitted after his defence stated the State had failed to prove his guilt.

"I don't think people just get R110 000. Agliotti made it clear that he paid the accused," prosecutor Gerrie Nel said.

Quoting Agliotti's evidence Nel said: "I made payments to the accused because firstly we were friends, secondly I needed him in my business dealings. I made payments to him and needed him close to me.

"I needed him for purposes of the Kebbles and that is why I paid him. In my view he was my friend, so if I called him he would come along initially to meet me".

Evidence

Nel said the fact that Agliotti never viewed the agreement or reasons for paying Selebi large sums of money as corruption did not detract from that fact.

He said the State had done more to present evidence upon which Selebi "might reasonably be convicted".

"In our view, we respectfully submit that we have made out a prima facie case that the accused is guilty of corruption and defeating the ends of justice".

He said this after Selebi's counsel Jaap Cilliers told the court on Wednesday that Selebi was entitled to an acquittal as the State had failed to prove his guilt. Cilliers had also criticised the State for basing its case on an "unreliable witness" whose evidence contradicted information contained in the charge sheet.

Nel disputed this, saying that discrepancies between Agliotti's affidavit and evidence led in court were no grounds for discharging the State's case.

Nel was expected to continue at 14:00.

- SAPA
News24